How Do We Reduce Information Security Risks In Companies?
Information security in companies has been gaining a highly relevant role in recent years. This is mainly due to a recent change in vision, which has led to the perception of IT as an ally of the business.
Today, companies’ marketing strategy is on the Internet through websites, blogs, social networks, and hosting databases and applications in the cloud.
Imagine the impact on billing if there is a crash on the company’s servers or network. Furthermore, data is at the heart of every company, regardless of size. Therefore, it is essential to worry about information security.
Could you keep reading and learn more about it?
Security Risks For Companies
A company is constantly subject to external (and even internal) attacks that can jeopardize its continuity in the market. Among the main threats are:
- External attacks: they are the infection by malware and viruses, with different purposes, including the theft of banking data and confidential market information;
- Accidents and inclement weather: fires, floods, or even internal incidents can cause system crashes and loss of valuable data if there is no way to recover them;
- Internal unauthorized access: Through carelessness or bad intentions, the lack of access control can allow unauthorized employees to consult, modify or lose important information, causing damage and even stopping activities.
Thus, ensuring information security is a way to prevent intrusions and incidents and minimize possible losses resulting from these problems.
Pillars Of Information Security In Companies
It can be said that information security is based on four pillars, that is, on aspects that it aims to protect. Are they:
- confidentiality: guarantee that the information will be accessed only by those entitled to it;
- integrity: protection of the initial characteristics of the information, preventing it from being corrupted or modified;
- Availability: guarantee that the information will be available for the correct use by authorized users when necessary;
- authenticity: attesting to the origin of the data.
Therefore, information security tools must ensure the protection of these points.
Tools To Ensure Information Security
To cover all these points and guarantee the maximum level of security, it is necessary to act on several fronts. Below are the most effective:
Data Backup Policy
It serves to safeguard data against any incident. Many companies have already closed their doors after losing financial information — accounts payable and receivable, for example — due to damage or intrusion into their databases.
Access Control Policy
Each department member should only have access to the part of the system that is indispensable for executing their tasks. In addition to this, a periodic password change routine must also be implemented.
It is not enough to have firm rules for access control: it is necessary to massively publicize the access control policy and make everyone aware of the importance of not sharing passwords.
Using tools that alert you to system unavailability ensures quick responses to incidents. Finding out from the customer about a problem in the IT infrastructure is unpleasant and damages the company’s credibility.
It is worth betting on outsourcing IT infrastructure and hosting the corporate environment in cloud computing providers. You can keep it in the cloud:
- email server;
- Database server etc.
This solves most of the information security problems. Providers offering cloud services guarantee backup, resource scaling in peak usage situations, firewall security, antivirus, and monitoring.
Thus, the company focuses its energies on its core business without having to create and maintain a physical, logical, and human resources structure – technicians and IT professionals – within the budget.
More Security And Agility In Tasks
Other advantages of these systems are the automation of tasks and the high degree of security in data storage. In traditional methods, most studies and activities are done manually, which takes up valuable staff time and leaves them more susceptible to losses due to human errors and improper access.
In addition, everything stored on the system can be shared in real-time among team members or even restricted by admin settings.
Also Read: What Are The Benefits Of Google Workspace For Retailers?